Shop By Category
Shop By Pearls
Shop By Collection
Japanese Akoya Cultured Double Strand Pearl Necklace
Double-strand pearl necklaces have two rows of similarly sized pearls. Therefore, these necklaces use twice as many pearls as their single-strand counterparts, reflect twice as much light and are arguably twice as beautiful. Japanese Akoya pearl necklaces come in rose or silver color overtones with lengths ranging from 16 to 51 inches. Pearls of this quality are usually only available at finer stores, such as Tiffany & Co. or Mikimoto. About Japanese Akoya Pearls
Japanese Akoya pearls are cultured in the waters off the coast of Japan where temperatures average between 59 degrees Fahrenheit and 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. The pearls are grown in Akoya oysters that live several feet below the surface of the water. The cool temperature and type of oyster used to grow the pearl contributes to the beautiful nacre and rich luster of the finished double-strand pearl necklace.
The pearls used to create each double pearl strand are chosen for their exceptional quality and conformity. American Pearl takes pride in offering customers only the finest and rarest Japanese Akoya pearls. All of our pearls are professionally graded and evaluated by their:
- Size. Larger pearls are more valuable than smaller pearls. Japanese Akoya pearls tend to be some of the smallest on the market, so larger pearls command an even higher price.
- Shape. We only use round pearls for our double-strand necklaces. Shape is one of the most important factors when choosing pearls to create a necklace.
- Color. Japanese Akoya pearls come in rose or silver overtones. We choose pearls of similar color to create each necklace. We do not blend colors.
- Luster. The pearl's ability to reflect light is referred to as its luster. Japanese Akoya pearls are known for their luster.
- Surface quality. Akoya pearls of high surface quality are used to create jewelry. The pearls are free of abrasions or flattened parts.
- Nacre quality. Because of the calm, cool waters that the pearls are cultured in, the nacre quality of a Japanese Akoya pearl is extremely high. The nacres are thick and more opaque than on other pearls.
American Pearl has been providing top-quality Akoya pearls for over 50 years. We stand behind every pearl sold and each purchase comes with a no-questions-asked, 90-day money-back guarantee.